Friday, June 24, 2011

I'm Sorry and I Love You

A Lesson in

How to Love


It is so interesting how hard it is for us as a species to say "I'm Sorry" or "I Love You." These two very powerful expressions of emotion have started and saved relationships throughout the centuries. But these two very powerful expressions of emotion, for some reason, are reserved internally to the degree that their utterance can stop a crowd. I would guess that the vulnerability that ensues when we say I'm Sorry" or "I Love You" is what makes it so difficult to say. It's the state of emotional nakedness that we submit ourselves to when we use these words that is so awkward. And especially, in public, most of us do not like to be naked.

However, when we open ourselves up to these emotions, and express them in actions and in words, we seem to always feel better, our heart pours out, and that burdened feeling is lifted. I am not sure that many of us regret telling someone "I'm Sorry" or "I Love You," even when the sentiment is unrequited. In fact, the last expression of many people as they are facing death is that they regret not saying "I'm Sorry" or "I Love You" enough in life. And not only do we feel better when we use these expressions, but it changes us, it changes the situations we are in, and changes the people that what say it to. And in the end, life is lived that much sweeter.

A Little Love Goes a Long Way when we I'm Sorry or I Love You. Make a commitment and start saying it more! Comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment