Thursday, June 16, 2011

Kids: A Little Love Goes a Long Way When They Do Wrong

About Love

If you have children like I do then you have come to the realization that they may not always do things that we would approve of.  Recently, my daughter tested the very fibers of my patience by playing leapfrog between the family couch, the love seat, "Daddy's" recliner, and the ottoman. She knows well that there is an expectation that most furniture is not to be played on.  Although I was able to identify this, in the moment, all I could see is another trip to the emergency room, stitches, and lots of tears coming if she continued her furniture conquest. All I could feel is disappointment of rule breaking and the panic of knowing my child might be hurt.

My first intuition was to yell and reprimand. Luckily, I was able to catch myself this time (I'm working on it). Instead, I remembered that A Little Love Goes a Long Way when we break the rules. So, I tried something new this time. After I physically caught her mid-air froggy hop between the couch and love seat I calmly told her a story about how I one day broke a house rule when I was "about her age." Instead of focusing how I felt when I was caught breaking the rule, I focused on how my father felt when he caught me breaking the rule. I spoke of how I disappointed him and hurt his feelings. How much we wanted me to be safe, healthy, and in one piece. How much he loved me! After telling my story, she gave me a big hug and apologized. I was amazed and I think so was she! I realized that a simple manifestation of love when a person does wrong goes a long way. It provided reflection, forgiveness, and acceptance.

A Little Love Goes a Long Way When They Do Wrong

Give it a try and Comment! Let me know how it works for you! And, post any similar positive strategies about love you have found effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment